You might see weeds, but I see wild flowers

Wednesday, 8 June 2016

Red Squirrel




Anglesey is reputed to be a great place to see Red Squirrels; but in all my visits, I've never seen one. I've not seen one for many years in fact, so when I read on social media a while ago of a place that was probably one of the best places to see them, I decided to go have a look.


I set off early, and arrived at 6:45.




Llyn Parc Mawr



A picnic area on the road from Newborough to Malltraeth in some woodland, with some farmland nearby.
I parked the car, and set off on one of the 'Red Squirrel Walks.'





I had the place practically to myself, an enjoyable walk through the woods,





with just the birds for company. No sign of any 'reds' though.




After a while the trail came to the edge of a lake.





No sign of any way to the edge though; there appeared to be a fence all the way round. A couple Oystercatchers were on one of the islands, some Mallards and Tufted Duck on the water, and a couple of flyover Buzzards.



After a while I carried on.




One of the many rides that had me thinking an ideal area for butterflies on a sunny day.



Eventually I arrived back at the car park ......................... and still no sign of any 'reds'.



A quick drink and a bite to eat, and I decided to explore the area round the car park.

Not far from the seating area I finally noticed the feeding stations that I'd heard about.
And then a 'red' came scurrying down a tree.






He stopped to pose for a picture,





and then made a bee line for the feeding box.







Pretty soon another came down from the tree tops, followed by a third. Quite a bit of activity as they ran up and down the trees; fascinating to watch, and not too far away.





A really great place, and worth another visit.
















2 comments:

  1. Fantastic blog Keith, a new one, and the Red Squirrel, nicely done, great photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bob, my first comment on here. :-)
    Yea, a new blog. I've not advertised much though.

    ReplyDelete