Sunday, 3 July 2016

Ivinghoe Beacon



Saturday was a sunny day, so we set off early to Ivinghoe Beacon.
My main aim was to see what wild flowers were there, and take some pictures.
Whisky was just pleased to be out.



We made our way from the car park, down the track, towards the chalky path that leads up to the summit.
An amazing number of wild flowers on display; some I knew, and lots I had to look up in my books when I got home. And a few more I needed help on one of the Facebook groups I'm in for wild flowers.




A mass of Orchids growing amongst Yellow Rattle.







We'll call these just 'Orchids'. I'm not sure which species, but I believe one is a Spotted Orchid.



The next one I do know




Pyramidal Orchid


A real beauty, but I was very surprised to find a white one.




First time I've seen one this colour before.




Further up the hill, we came to a mass of frothy white flowers.




I later found out it was Dropwort.





Dropwort




Lots of these,




Mignonette


and big sprays of yellow




Agrimony



Along the pathway were clumps of




Spiny Restharrow






Small Scabious


Field Scabious and a few of these bright yellow flowers glistening in the sunlight.




Perforate St. John's-wort


At the summit, were masses of Hogweed. A couple of Ravens flew overhead, a Buzzard and a Red Kite.
Butterflies flying in the sun were mostly Meadow Brown and Ringlet, and on the way down there were lots of Chimney Sweeper moths. A bugger to get pictures of though, they don't keep still for a second.





Chimney Sweeper.


Whisky was having a great time out in the sun and fresh air, and when I stopped to take pictures, he would just wait until we carried on again. Such a great boy.


We had a game of chase the stones on the way down the hill.





So happy, and loves to have fun. A real friend and companion.



Back at the car, we had some refreshments, and then made our way to Incombe Hole.


But another time for that ................. maybe.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment